Monday, January 14, 2013

Table-Top Gaming

Master and I have played a fair amount of table top games. We have played ExaltedDungeons and Dragons, Arkham Horror, and we are currently playing a game of World of Darkness with some friends whenever we can catch a day in the week to actually play it. So it is safe to say that we are familiar with the rolling of the die, and we have a dice bag for our ever growing collection of dice. 

One game in particular that caught my attention a few years ago was Don't Rest Your Head. A couple of friends of mine had told me about it. Those friends were Angel and Panda. We had wanted to game with them, but they said it was better to play one-on-one with one character and a DM. So after hearing them rave about it, and a few other friends who had played it, I finally said I was tired of the suspense and Master got a copy of the manual for it and we created my character and really mapped this out.

We have only played one session but this game is intense. 

A lot of the gaming I have done in the past has been pretty relaxed and suspenseful at times, but nothing lights a candle to this particular game. After about three hours of playing this, it was time to call it quits for the night and head to bed. Not going to lie, I was looking around every corner in fear that something was waiting to lurch out at me.

Let me back this up and explain a little bit.

From just that one session I had with Master, this is a very psychological game. It is designed to fuck with your head, and if you play it right, it will give you nightmares and make you afraid of everything that goes bump in the night. 

I am playing a female Psychologist and a particular case has been plaguing her mind to the point that she has lost several consecutive days of sleep. Her patient is an insomniac (which she is slowly becoming herself) and he says he is being haunted by these strange sightings. Odd shadows and beings that are coming after him. Even more on the weird scale, he has attempted suicide five times and he can not die. 

My character has had a long string of days of hard work and she takes leave of her office after speaking with said patient. As she is walking out of the building she works in, her patient drops onto the concrete right in front of her. It appears he has attempted suicide and has succeeded. She calls the police, is questioned, and then takes her leave to the police station. When she is finished at the police station she goes back to the scene of the incident and everyone is gone. What is even more strange is that there are no crack in the sidewalk, and there is no blood. Only a small black dot where his head was. Not even a chalk outline.

Needless to say she investigates on this herself and finds out her patient is not only alive and well, but he is in her house alone. The story grows more intense as she finds out that he is not the only person experience these bizarre instances and what is worse is that she is starting to experience them herself. Double doors are suddenly appearing where there should only be one, and big shadow creatures are coming out of nowhere all around her, including her own house.

When the 13th hour rolls around, all hell breaks loose and these creatures wreak havoc on everything in sight. Once the 13th hour is over, however, everything goes back to normal, as if nothing ever happened. There is a secret that my character holds that no one knows about her, though, and that secret is that she has multiple personalities. So I have made my character rather flawed. She is already growing insane on her own and trying her best to keep her cool, but these occurrences are driving her to her breaking point.

Now, none of this may seem all that scary, but it's just one of those things where you have to really be in the moment of it all. The way Master described everything was so creepy and I actually was creeping down the hallway in hopes that nothing would attack me. 

I love playing table top games, but I wanted to pay particular attention to this one because there is not much that gives me the creeps or scares me, and knowing that this has me on my toes during and outside of this game, I'd say it is something everyone should play if they are into this kind of thing.

I also recommend the other games I listed above as well, but if you want to play something that gets straight to the point, D&D and World of Darkness are your best choices. If you want something more in depth, Don't Rest Your Head is great, and if you want to play something with a LOT of character development and details, Exalted is the best one to pick out of all of them.

Sorry this was not a kinky post or anything, but I promise I will have some of those coming up here really soon, and I will be starting back up on my toy reviews here really soon too.

On a side note, I had my interview today and it went really well. I don't know if I have the job yet because they have other people to interview, but I'm really keeping my fingers crossed. 

~*~Anastassia~*~

No comments:

Post a Comment